Dr. Sham Navathe
Qualification - Ph.D,MS, B.E.
Ph.D. in Industrial and Operations Engineering (University of Michigan),
M.S. Computer Science (Ohio State University),
B.E. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 1968
- Sc. University of Pune, 1965.
Professor of Computer Science, Georgia Institute of Technology
Head of Database Systems Research Group, Georgia Institute of Technology,
Co-Author “Fundamentals of Database Systems” (First edition 1989, seventh edition 2016)
Connoisseur and Organizer of ShastriyaSangeet (Indian Classical Music)
Outstanding achievements as a student:
- Stood second in Maharashtra at SSC , 1961
- First rank at examinations in Hindi – one and two – (Maharashtra RashtrabhashaSabha), 1959,1960.
- First rank,German Language Examinations– one and two (Univ of Pune), 1963, 1964.
- First rank at B.Sc. (Physics) – Univ of Pune, 1965
- Gold Medal, Indian Institute of Science, (Electrical Communications Engg) – 1968.
Privious Mentoring Experience -
Dr.ShamkantNavathe has a long career as an educationist, author, editor and mentor. He has made positive impact on many students and institutions. His long career can be summarized as given below.
- Professor, College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology 1990-present
- Professor, Professor, Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Florida 1979-1990
- Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Business, New York University, New York, NY 1975-1979
- System Engineer, Electronic Data Systems, Cincinnati, Ohio 1971
- System Engineer, IBM World Trade Corporation, India 1968-1969
Sham Navathe continues to on the editorial boards of many journals and has been a series editor for book series as well.
Associate Editor, ACM Computing Surveys, September 1986 – December 1997.
Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 1994-1999.
Associate Editor, Data and Knowledge Engineering, Elsevier, 1985-Present.
Member, Editorial Board, Information Systems, Elsevier, 1987-Present.
Member, Editorial Board, Parallel and Distributed Database Systems, Kluwer Academic Press, (Springer) 1992-2005.
Member, Editorial Board, Information Technology and Management, Chapman Hall, 1998- Present.
Member, Editorial Board, Worldwide Web Journal, Kluwer Academic Press, (Springer) 2001-2004.
Editor, Series on “Database Systems and Applications,” Benjamin Cummings/Addison Wesley, 1991-2000.
Editor, Series on “Emerging Directions in Database Systems and Applications,” CRC Press, 2009-2016
Professional Appointments and Awards
- IEEE Computer Science, Engineering and Education Impact Award 2015.
- Elected Fellow of ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) – 2014 for contributions to data modelling, database design and database education.
- Bruhan Maharashtra Mandal (BMM), U.S.A. Excellence Award, 2005, Atlanta.
- Elected Trustee of the International Very Large Database Foundation, 1992-98.
- General Co-chairman, International Very Large Database (VLDB) conference, Mumbai, India, September 1996.
- Member Steering committee, Conceptual Modelling (Object Oriented and ER modelling) International Conference, committee established in 1993.Conference is in its 37th Year in 2018 at Xian, China.
- Florida Governor’s Second Annual Award for Outstanding Contribution to Science and Technology, presented by Governor Bob Martinez, April 10, 1990.
- Program Co-chairman, ACM International Conference on Management of Data, Austin, Texas, 1978.
- Has done funded research projects with several agencies including NSF, DOE, National Bureau of Standards, U.S. Air Force, DARPA, U.S. Army, CDC and several private corporations.
- Has collaborated with researchers in Canada, Europe, India, Korea, Brazil, Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia.
Giving Back to Roots:
- Under Prime Minister NarendraModi’s new education program managed by Ministry of Human Resource Development, the Curriculum Innovation Initiative (CII) also known as RUSA (RashtriyaUchhyatamShikshaAbhiyan) is working to assess, update, and standardize state university undergraduate and post-graduate curricula across the country.Prof. Sham was invited by Prof. Venkatesh Kumar, co-ordinator of CII, to be an international expert in computer science which he accepted and has been involved in it since Summer 2017. India has at least 363 state universities, so CII has chosen different institutions for different subjects. For computer science, they fselected Pune and Anna University in Chennai. Traveling to India specifically for the project, Dr. Sham met with faculty, department chairs, and deans at both universities to learn about the problems of the curriculum and offer solutions. He has been very pleased that he is getting to advise his own alma mater, Pune University, now as a curriculum expert. He has also held meetings with deemed and autonomous universities around Pune.