- Director Archana Nirtyalaya
- Founder-director: SAMVED Exam board of Music & Dance for North America Continent
- Actor, Writer,
- Kathak Dancer/choreographer/ Director & producer
- A multi-talented versatile person who is perfectionist to the core.
- A selfless Indian Cultural Ambassador in USA
Having lived a very high profile career as an actress, writer, director & producer of various TV serials and films and as classical Kathak dancer in India. After representing India as cultural ambassador at International music & dance festivals like Reikyawik, Iceland and performing before many Presidents and prime ministers and Ambassadors of various countries…
Archana had carved a nich for herself as a fine actor in Bollywood, since late 80s, having worked in many Hindi Movies and TV serials in lead roles. Her performances were appreciated with many Best actress and critics awards. Having worked with legendary directors like Hrishikesh Mukherjee and co stars like Rajnikant, Amir Khan, Shekhar Suman, Rekha, Raj Babbar, Jitendra and many others, Archana left her own mark in every role she played.
She was chosen to play the title role of “ Fulwanti” .. a govt. of India commissioned TV serial based on real life story of a classical dancer from 18th century. This serial was produced by Lata Mangeshkar and Usha Mangeshkar. Archana was also dance director of this epic.
Archana has worked with NTR (the Superstar of Telgu Films and twice Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh) for his film “Vishwamitra” where she played the role of “ Shakuntala”.
Besides Hindi Films, Archana also did lead roles in Marathi, Oriya, Bangla and Tamil Films
Archana continued her journey in USA since 1999….
After arriving in USA on the east coast, in 1999, Archana noticed that among all the Indians, the only entertainment is Bollywood movie songs. Be it social parties or in house get together. And that had manifested into Indo-American cultural festivals too. So many times it was evident that Americans had started taking Bollywood culture and songs as Indian culture.
Despite of being part of Bollywood herself…Archana would often say to herself – ‘ it so NOT true” Our cultural heritage is so ancient , so rich, so spiritual, so deep. How can it be written off by few songs from Hindi movies. Indian Classical Art forms are and will always remain the mirror of our ancient culture.
Archana started her work right at the grass root level….
To create awareness about our true Indian ancient culture, Indian classical art forms and motivate Indian origin children, born in US (who are so totally American in their upbringing,) Archana worked on many fronts.
- Archana Nrityalaya – The kathak Dance Academy was founded in USA in 1999 . Here Archana offers extensive training in Kathak. It does not limit to learning Kathak, but expand to learning Sanskrit shlokas, Ramayana, Mahabharat, Krishna Charitra and so many details of our ancient culture, making all the students truly understand our culture and feel proud about it.
- Archana formed a non-profit charity organization “ MADHYAM” to promote Indian classical art forms. Thru MADHYAM she started Gandharva festival of music and dance since 2005. She created a team of selflessly working volunteers, including herself who are classical art loves and end up giving their endless working hours to put this together. Madhyam also created another event “ Rhythm of Life” a special program where all young students present classical art forms before receptive audience. This is staged every alternate year.
- Archana , formed SAMVED CONSERVATORY OF INDIAN CLASSICAL MUSIC & DANCE – A well-established exam board with highly qualitative and diligent curriculum and exams for all Indina classical art forms. Teachers across the country are affiliated and benefited due to this board. Extensive guidance, training and help is extended to all the teachers who are teaching Indian classical vocal, Tabla, Sitar, Kathak, Bhrat-natyam. Thru SAMVED made this curriculum available, provided them with all the information and motivated them to let their students learn in a proper structured format. There are more than 300 students of various teachers from various cities like, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Maryland, Pensylvania, Pittsburge, Dallas, Huston, North Carolina, Chicago.,all over USA taking exams of various art forms through SAMVED.
- Archana was invited by Princeton University to teach Kathak in the year 2006, 2007 and 2010 . This is first time ever, the top most Ivy league University had officially launched Indian classical art form as subject and Archana had been honored to be the first to teach Kathak at Princeton University, besides conducting lecture-demonstrations for University students at various times
- Archana’s own Kathak dance Academy – “ Archana Nrityalaya “ which has earned name as the most prestigious Kathak Dance Academy on the east coast where parents wait for a period of 6 months to one year for admission of their child. Various other Kathak teachers who have limited knowledge of Kathak come down to New Jersey to take advance training from her.
Awards , Titles and Honors :
- Honored by New Jersey Democratic Party for her cultural contribution to society – by Governor John Corzaine & Assemblyman Upendra Chivukula — May 2009
- Honored by Consule General of India, New York 2014, 2nd May, for cultural contribution to society and as an outstanding artist.